Sunday, March 14, 2010

A little support for my deep distrust of hospitals

As I've said before, I'm a big fan of medicine and doctors-- if you need it. But if you don't?

Our pediatrician is literally the only doctor I feel like is actually paying attention-- to not just what is in front of him, but the overall picture.

The others? I've always gotten the feeling they are concentrating on something else entirely. Which makes me nervous. So when I got pregnant, I ended up with midwives, who gave me the marvelous sensation of concentration, like they truly had my and my baby's health at heart, instead of an over-scheduled day and insurance requirements.

And I figured that if I or my baby died during delivery, it would be because of an actual situation and not all this slipping-through-the-radar bullshit that raddles our health-care system.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This may very well be the most "inflammatory" statement you have posted!

You are right to distrust hospitals. They are not safe. And if the super virus' don't get you (and I have buried too many people to have an argument over whether or not this is an actual problem), simple negligence and outright mistakes will.

This is not to say that all doctors and nurses are incompetent at all, on the contrary - but the system is in utter failure for the most part. With no easy fix that I can discern.