Friday, February 09, 2007

Good news

I went down to the local newspaper on Monday, and I'm their new features writer (on a freelance basis).

In every week's issue, I'll be writing a profile/interview with interesting locals. My first subject hand-typed an autobiography, available in the reference section of the local lobrary.

It is AMAZING. Not only because he's had an interesting life, but also because he provides a clear, first-hand account of life in Mississippi in the 1920s. The econonomy, the social structure, race-- it's all in there. This stuff needs to be part of the Library of Congress, because it's priceless. I'm meeting him next week, and I think it'll be great.

Talk to ye elders, people! And elders, write your stuff down! Think of it as community service.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! The paper is lucky to have you :)

Your trip to Cali looks like it was a blast. Thanks for posting all the great pictures.

Oh, did K get that book for his sister?
~Sarah~

Anonymous said...

He sure did!!! I *think* she liked it!

Anonymous said...

nice!

-n

Anonymous said...

I love the pics from San Fran. And of the dogs. And you are the most beautiful ponderer I have ever seen! I must admit, it has been a while since I've read your blog. I love the new look, and I'll be venturing into this cite much more frequently. Take care, sweet girl, and know that I think of you always. Stinks