Wednesday, October 10, 2007

25 down, 70ish to go

Thanks to everyone who called or wrote on my birthday! So many nice people in my life.

No more gushing about the husband, but he was very, very nice. To me. Through hours of grumpiness. I owe him a backrub or two...

But it's late, and I'm rather tired; we stayed up late last night watching Scrubs, eating apple cake, and tiptoeing into the kitchen periodically to view our new... refrigerator! The used hunk-of-junk we'd bought upon discovering our rented home didn't COME with a fridge stopped keeping food cold a month ago.

One disastrous order with Sears and much sniffing of the milk later, we received this from a different company entirely:



Isn't it beautiful?



Not to mention Energy-star certified (the least we can do), and the smallest regular size at 18.3 cubic feet. I am of the opinion that Americans overestimate their need for refrigeration, and anyway, we have plenty of room (sorry about the rotation, but note the convenient cheese drawer on the upper left):


By the time the chilluns come along, I hope to have a root cellar and a chest freezer.

And here are the presents of the hour:



The vase is lovely, much-needed given my predilection for flowers, and I kept finding lovely wrapped bars of lavender soap (another weakness of mine) around the house yesterday from my darling husband, but this, this is what makes my heart sing:



After making two slipcovers with what kindergarteners use to cut construction paper, these chrome-covered, carbon-steel babies with a lifetime guarantee and a snick that resounds with the angels make me go all soft inside.

And, as requested by my m-i-l, some belly shots, one taken last night as I dig into presents:



15 pounds gained, many clothes outgrown, and a definite waddle beginning to develop. 11 weeks (out of 40) to go!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's BEAUTIFUL!!! The "frig I mean ( and yes, your belly too-)almost an outie there...

D'nelle said...

I would have that fridge's babies given the chance. They would run around being all fat and cold and it would be wonderful.

I CAN'T BELIEVE I DIDN'T REMEMBER YOUR BIRTHDAY! Damn. Wasn't even on my radar. I had a perfectly good excuse to go buy something frivolous at the Wild Oats farmers' market and didn't even realize it.

I also want a little chest freezer - I have the perfect place for it right by the washing machine, and I could make actual meals and then freeze them. A root cellar, on the other hand... certainly not on my to-do list.

My mom has a pair of Gingher scissors that's she's had since before I was born, and we were NEVER allowed to touch them for the fear that we'd use them on something that wasn't fabric and so dull them or something :) So I appreciate the gravity of owning a pair like that!

anyhow, I owe you a phone call about blogging. I thought about you this morning 'cause i'm wearing an Ole Miss teeshirt... and because I put your little note on the fridge so that I'm reminded at least twice a day how delightful you are to me :)