Tuesday, May 05, 2009

This weekend is the first farmers' market of the season. It's going along with a big festival our Main Street Assoication puts on; all very exciting.

In contrast to last year, when the market was brandnew, I already have 7 confirmed vendors for Saturday's market. Considering that produce has yet to really start coming in, considering that last year's first market only had 3 and one was me.... I am really, really pleased.

I get a lot of satisfaction out of running the FM. I don't know why. But it's far and away the favorite thing that I do for this town, even though I'm involved in some pretty cool stuff, like the Movies on Main a bunch of us put on under the association's name (and on its dime).

I won't, however, be trying to sell stuff myself this year. Somehow I think that the combination of bigger market + more infrastructure + newborn = no time to rise at 4 and bake baguettes for $20.

See? I let things slide :)

A fellow preggers lady emailed me this am at 5:45. Like me, she is having #2; like me, she has a little girl.

Big difference is she went in for her planned c-section at 6 or so and by 9:30am, a fellow friend had emailed to say that B. was safe and sound with a baby boy, 7lbs 7ozs.

As labor becomes more and more of a nightly possibility, I admit to some envy. How.. clean, how civilized, to be able to Blackberry on your way to the hospital, to be able to plan and organize and delegate.

In stark contrast: I don't know when (now? In early June? C'est possible...). I don't know what time of day, or what day; whether Annaliese will be at play school, at home, or asleep. I don't know how long it will take or how much it will hurt.

All I do know is that in planning a natural home birth, I am setting up my support systems (midwives, K., a friend to come over and watch Annaliese if need be) so that I can be fully available to birth this new baby. And that's about all I have control over.

I'm a planner. An organizer. A delegator (just ask K.). So this when-it-happens, it-happens approach doesn't come all that easily.

And as I waddle around town, wondering how many markets I'll be around for before maternity leave, I'm not sure why I pick this way, except I have a basic distrust of gadgetry, choosing french presses over coffee pots and knives over food processors.

Wouldn't it be nice to be more CLEARLY right sometimes?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yahoooooo---does that mention of french presses mean there is a NEW UNBROKEN one for morning coffee for my next visit??????:) Lol all the way------

Sarah said...

Jon and I are thinking about you all!