Thursday, December 04, 2008

It's been a week, and I haven't posted because I want to show you pictures! Of my darling baby girl who has been super-great lately! Not to mention huge and grown-up and practically not even a baby! But there are technical difficulties, involving a misplaced camera cord and picasa and a dying laptop.

So here's an old one, two weeks or so ago:


The biggest news is that she's walking. Not really well yet; she rarely makes it across half a room before thumping to her butt and scooting, since it gets her where she wants to go faster. But she works on walking independently every day; she's been doing the walking while holding onto things gig for awhile now. Really, her balance is very good. She bends over at the waist to pick things up and then straightens, object held tight in chubby fingers.

And she hugs now. I'll squat a few steps in front of her, open my arms, and she toddles into them, wraps her little arms around me and pushes her face against my shoulder. Cutest thing EVER.

Not to mention that she also-- ALSO- FINALLY-- likes cuddling, and happily lolls around on K. and me during family morning cuddle time as we kiss her neck and tickle her stomach and she just loves it. Giggles away, then tries to steal someone's glasses, then flops down for more cuddles.

We are more than a little in love with our daughter these days.

This morning, after a mishap that K. will gleefully tell anyone all about, we finally made it to the OB. I have no intention of delivering the new bebe with this doctor, but as we haven't made up our minds yet about the birthing location/style/etc. of New One, we decided to go local for prenatal care.

And man, I hate OBs. Nothing against the man personally (and yes, it's a man. Because there are no women OBs in Oxford. And they strap you to the bed in the hospital; charming, eh?). But really, they are so CONTROLLING about a process that they didn't initiate, can't "cure", and ultimately, don't solve. I've yet to see a doctor who takes on labor pain; if I did, maybe I'd let them make the decisions. Example from this morning: "and now we'll get your blood drawn and then you'll be done!"

Me: why does my blood have to be drawn?

Him: It's standard. Check your blood type, screen for syphilis, HIV, hepatitis, and your hemocrit status.

The only reason I consented is because I would like to know my hemocrit status; after losing so much blood with Annaliese, it's possible my iron levels are still very low and I would like to know.

Otherwise I would have said fuggedaboutit, because I could just TELL YOU that I'm B+ and disease-free. 

Ob care in this country really caters to the bottom level; I mean, the reason newborns get drops in their eyes (ALL newborns, unless you ask for an exception) is because if the mother has syphilis (or maybe gonorrhea?) the child can end up blind.

Catering to the bottom level, my friends.

Anyhow, rant aside, everything's fine. I've gained 3 pounds, I'm officially 14 weeks pregnant which means I'm most likely out of the miscarriage woods, and we heard the baby's heartbeat.

They say we'll find out the gender of New Bebe at visit #2, January 6th, aka Annaliese's first birthday. A present for her! That she will not be all that excited about for quite a while! Her first lesson in delayed gratification: from us to her.

Hope everyone's well. We finally are.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was suffering ableponder withdrawal!! I'm glad you updated :)

-N