Thursday, May 10, 2007

today is the day...

Y'all,

This morning Shadow found two baby raccoons being tormented by blowflies, dehydrated and upset, under a tree. I ran inside, googled "orphaned raccoons" and proceeded with what I think could be fairly described as admirable competence--- but I did not take a picture, and thus you can not understand how cute they were (don't freak out about the past tense, just wait).

The size of very small kittens, about 3 weeks old I think, eyes open but teeny-tiny.

On the advice of the internet, I dripped condensed milk onto a rag, which they-- eventually-- were big fans of, and I put them in a box with blankets. After a feed and a poo and a quick sponge-off, I put aforesaid box in the dark bathroom, and they fell asleep. I then called a wildlife rehabilitator, because it turns out that 1. it's illegal to raise wild animals and 2. there was one right in my town! She came by, very competent, and said that they were orphaned for sure; since we live in town, it's likely their mom was trapped by the animal controller or hit by a car. She then put them in a carrier, and will take them home; one had a small injury to a foot (which I hadn't even noticed, being so unfamiliar with baby raccoons), but she said they were dehydrated but in good shape and that they'd be released into the wild-- a more country wild-- by the end of the summer.

She also confirmed their sex: a boy and a girl.

So pray for the baby raccoons! I kind of miss them. They make the coolest noises, cooing and clucking and... just wonderful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh---how lucky they are that you found them!!!

Anonymous said...

The racoons must have been really cute. Thanks for the advice on India. I'll take some Vitamen C with me.

BTW, you misspelled ya'll. As a true southern girl, aka a GRIT, I feel compelled to tell you---- ya'll is short for "you all". Or, in the north "you guys". (That really is a sexist statement. . .ignoring the women. . funny for such a "liberal society" in the NE). Anyhow, as we must spell everything as it sounds with it comes to slang. . . one must note ya'll is pronounced yawl. Not "y" awl. Alright, alright. Truth be told, I'm attempting the snobby intellectual conversation. And I think I misspelled, "misspelled". Love you always. Stinkessa