Saturday, May 05, 2007

Saturday Night Fever

Spring is almost gone, down here in Mississippi; when it's above seventy degrees at night, that spell s-u-m-m-e-r to me. Although I know it gets much, much worse; at least our house has air conditioning, which we haven't had to turn on yet. I like hearing the birds in the morning, and the screen door to the porch off our bedroom is such a gift; drowning it all out with sweet cold air will be a mixed blessing.

It is strange how short-sighted we-- or at least I-- are. During the winter, when all the trees are bare and the grass brown, I never fully believe that spring will come. But every night, I fall asleep knowing that the sun will be there in the morning. 10-12 hours versus four months-- a lot easier to count on the first one.

I am sweaty and dirty from pulling out nails and staples in the building, painting my new chair, and playing in the garden. The cherry tomatoes, that started out so small and spindly, are getting bigger and bigger, strong green leaves and a few star-shaped yellow flowers. It's all very exciting.

Despite all my preparation re. the second novel, I find that I've got to rewrite and start-- not entirely-- over. I was working on a sewing project last night, and the same thing happened-- even though I'd measured, even though I'd thought it through as much as I could, I had to discard everything and take what I now know (like the zip will have to be under the arm, and to allow for darts before measuring the back piece) and hope this second attempt will work better. I turned to K. that night and said that I was tired of having to start over, even after I tried so hard, even ater I'd given my best effort to the first attempt. (Sewing is a lot like writing for me-- a love-hate relationship with imperfect products.) He didn't say much, just listened, but man, it feels good to complain sometimes. So now I am rolling up my sleeves and trying, trying again.

I think that's why I like cooking-- it's nearly all passable the first time.

I have to walk the dogs before the sun sets; happy weekend, y'all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh--finally,not one but TWO new posts from my absolutely favorite blogger---I can start the week happy!
love the chairs/how many?
life is full of starting overs/no matter how fully you give your best efforts/so get used to it. It will save you much angst.And you're ahead of the game if you can say that about your cooking-wish I could.