Friday, May 04, 2007

a long delayed-post

My stomach is pleasantly full of free barbeque, I'm fighting off the siren call of a nap, and it's Friday. All in all, it's been a superb week. Why?

I took a book sabbatical, and man, it has been good. I polished silver, downloaded free yoga podcasts, spent two hours weeding the garden, and cleaned the house more thoroughly than I usually do. I folded mountains of laundry; I cooked one of the 2+ pound steaks I bought at Whole Foods in Birmingham last weekend and made mashed potatoes for my duly appreciative husband. I have slept like I was drowning every night. It's been delicious.

And now it's time to get back to work. Last act of procrastination: updating the blog.

We've had a ton of rain in the last two days, and the spindly tomato plants we bought from the high school's greenhouse need attention. That'll be this evening, right after we gt interviewed by the paper about our main street purchase. But our squashes and cucumbers and melons have begun poking through, and I've reseeded the herbs that didn't come up. Here's some shots of the corn and the lettuce, as well as my panty panty dogs, who are tired of being walked in the rain.











Wimps.

Last weekend cost a fortune in gas but it was fab; I traveled the 3+ hours to spend the night with Stinkerina, aka Daffodilchild, and she indulged her country mouse of a best friend by taking me to a Whole Foods that made my heart shudder. And then we got up at 6.40 am for the Junior League's annual sale, which is *un*believable. I brought the truck (hence the fortune in gas), but look at our new dining room chairs! I have to replace the fabric, but what a steal, and handsome to boot.





Not to mention this cool thing which I love that cost $2 and now houses sewing/yarn supplies (the bottom half is empty awaiting K.) and is shockingly well made:



And this mirror, too big for this space, but when I put it on K's dresser he began preening and ordered me to keep it there. "I like it," he said, turning his head to the side. "It reflects such beautiful things."





Also an old chair and stool, which are not camera-ready, but lovely nonetheless. Stinkie and I had a great time, manuevered the truck safely, and ate at IHOPs to celebrate. Good times always with that girl; she starts law school in June!

This weekend, we'll be at the building a fair bit, and we plan to run up to Memphis to go to Costco. Big times in our small town. It's going to be great.

1 comment:

D'nelle said...

I always thought that Panty would be a good name for a dog.

I am very jealous of your tomatoes.

YAY! you have chairs!

in re: K. preening - here should be a word for him that is similar to calling a woman handsome - he's not "handsome" in the conventional way you'd call a man handsome, at least to me, but he is certainly mirror-preening-worthy. Hot stuff, maybe? Yummy? I don't know.

Where's Stinky going to law school? Me pone celosa, otra vez. a veces es dificil de ser contenta :)...

But I have planted some lovely little marigolds and a few yellow gerber daisies in the pots outside my front door, and they make me happy every day!

Hey... send me your novel, dude. me wants to read the whole thing.

Also, i do not envy you living in what has the potential to be a broiling pan. Tennessee is hot enough for me, thank you ma'am!